Created By: Webman97
Project Codename: Myth of the World
Project Type: Gaming Community
Primary Project Platform(s): Xbox One/Windows 10
Associated Game(s): Minecraft, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019), Borderlands (1, 2, Pre-Sequel and 3), and Killing Floor 2.
Duration of Project: November 2018-present
Associated Website(s): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MythWorld
- mc.mythworld.net | Minecraft Server
- kf2.mythworld.net | Killing Floor 2 Servers
- Inactive as of January 10th, 2020
- rust.mythworld.net | Rust Server
- Inactive as of November 16th, 2019
2018 & 2019 – Starting Anew
- Creation of Myth of the World (MythWorld) – November 25th, 2018
- The name “Myth of the World” was created based on the fundamental values I believe make a strong gaming community. When speaking with other community owners, I have been told these values are myths. I disagree.
- The MythWorld Steam group was created.
- Creation of Discord Server – November 26th, 2018
- While initially reluctant to create a Discord server based on previous experiences and overall quality compared to Teamspeak 3, we decided to launch our Discord server because it is the preferred platform of our target audience.
- Creation of MythWorld Website – December 7th, 2018
- We launched our website for longer-term communications such as mod lists, reoccurring events and major announcements.
- New Years Eve – December 31st, 2018
- We finalized our 2019 plan for MythWorld and set it into motion.
- MythWorld.net Launch – January 10th, 2019
- We announced our game server network launch via Twitter when the servers were ready for the public.
- We launched servers for Conan Exiles, DayZ, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Squad and Killing Floor 2.
- All Killing Floor 2 servers were an immediate hit, bringing in many new members and creating the foundation for the MythWorld community.
- Shutdown of Squad Server – January 11th, 2019
- After further review of the Squad Server licensing system, we opted to take down our Squad server.
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – January 16th, 2019
- We took down our DayZ server in favor of launching three Killing Floor 2 servers, one for all other gamemodes (Endless/Versus Survival/Weekly Outbreaks).
- We announced and launched our replacement for Squad, Insurgency: Sandstorm.
- DingyTheDingbat – January 29th, 2019
- DingyTheDingbat was recruited as a Community Officers to help moderate our platform.
- MythWorld Events & Game Night – February 21st, 2019
- We announced the beginning of our weekly event: MythWorld Game Night, taking place Sundays at 8pm EST.
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – March 9th, 2019
- We took down our Conan Exiles, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and Insurgency: Sandstorm servers after noticing increased interest in our Killing Floor 2 Platform.
- We replaced the servers we took down with a new initiative – Community Servers. Members were given the ability to request to host any type of game server on the MythWorld network.
- We restructured our ranking system, removing region-based membership.
- PanicButton98 – March 31st, 2019
- PanicButton98 was recruited as a Community Officer to help moderate our platform.
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – June 20th, 2019
- With Killing Floor 2’s Summer 2019 Back and Kicking Brass update, we published our Community Server on our website and launched an Objective Server!
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – September 15th, 2019
- We decided to launch a vanilla Rust server.
- This server created an open-world outlet for MythWorld members and does not impact our Killing Floor 2 servers.
- We also updated our website’s homepage to reflect a similar look to our forums.
- We decided to launch a vanilla Rust server.
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – September 26th, 2019
- We shut down our Killing Floor 2 Versus Survival Server based on community feedback and overall disinterest in the Versus Survival gamemode.
- MythWorld Events – November 14th, 2019
- We announced our Halo: Reach PC Launch Party and the start of MythWorld Halo Missions, planned on March 14th, 2019
- MythWorld.net Server Changes – November 16th, 2019
- After many moons of investigation regarding rubber-banding and lagspikes on our Rust server, we came to the conclusion that the application is poorly optimized and not worth the investment of further time and resources trying to locate and fix the issue. As such, we shut down our Rust server permanently.
- MythWorld Events – November 22nd, 2019
- We introduced our first nightly event: MythWorld Nightlys! The purpose of this event is to answer the question “what are we playing tonight?”, and allow members to plan when they’d like to participate. All other MythWorld Events are prioritized over MythWorld Nightlys.
- MythWorld.net Shutdown – December 4th, 2019
- We decided to shut down our game server environment, MythWorld.net. The website is still accessible through MythWorld.net.
- All game servers will shut down as of January 10th, 2020.
- After one year online, MythWorld.net has brought together many members from Killing Floor 2. However, with the release of many new games that do not require servers, we do not find it necessary to pay for and maintain our game server environment.
- This only impacts our Killing Floor 2 servers – our Discord and the website remain online.
2020 – Expansion and Retention
- 2020 Kickoff – MythWorld Minecraft & Events – February 21st, 2020
- We officially announced to the Myth of the World community the creation and release of MythWorld Minecraft.
- Members have been expressing interest in a server with a persistent environment for quite some time. When we launched a temporary vanilla Minecraft server for members only, we had a number of members join very quickly (and stay) and we realized it was time to invest in this environment. We’ve put a lot of time and consideration into the type of server we’d like this to be, alongside what our members are interested in playing.
- We created a new website for MythWorld Minecraft to keep the server environment separate from the community environment (we’re aware Minecraft isn’t the sole reason players are a part of MythWorld). More information regarding our Minecraft server can be found at https://www.mythworld.net/.
- With the launch of our Minecraft server and community feedback, we’ve replaced MythWorld Halo Missions with a MythWorld Game Night. Additionally, we have opted to avoid focusing on any games specifically as a community from this point forward. This is another reason the MythWorld Minecraft server has a dedicated website.
- MythWorld Minecraft – Season 1: Rising Eagle Completed – May 2nd, 2020
- In this season, we created MythWorld Minecraft.
- To summarize the work completed in this season: 6 Server Development Milestones were completed & 94 Issues were resolved. We survived the following incidents throughout this season: 2 Hosting Provider Hops & 15 Outage-Related Data-Damaging Incidents.
- ViirV – May 6th, 2020
- ViirV was recruited as a Community Officer to help moderate our platform.
- MythWorld Events – Merging Events – May 14th, 2020
- MythWorld Game Night became the MythWorld Nightly Event
- MythWorld Nightlys were removed from our regular rotation and replaced with the MythWorld Nightly Event
- Year of 2018 & 2019
- Theme – Starting Anew
- I began Myth of the World with a set of fundamental values I believe make a strong gaming community. However, I was alone. I began the process as usual, designing the logo, website, Discord, etc and join my empty servers to try to interact with anyone who joins. This process, over time, allowed me to begin rebuilding my vision of a gaming community: “All players should have the privilege of entering a community without judgement. We are here to play games, plain and simple.” As of the end of this year, I’ve come across many players who either agree or disagree with this idea. A few even became staff members. Before banning members who disagreed with our values, we gave them the privilege to explain their actions and beliefs in community membership. This was a year of decent player activity and calm rule enforcement. Most players who found themselves breaking the rules did not understand: “We are here to play games, plain and simple.“
- We began this year outside of my comfort zone – using Discord. I was initially reluctant to use Discord, however it has proven to be the preferred platform of the community. We also launched MythWorld.net and began experimenting with game servers. We found ourselves focused on hosting Killing Floor 2 because it aligns closely with our values (despite the theme & genre). We also launched MythWorld Events this year, events that have been very successful in both encouraging player activity and documenting our experiences as a community on platforms such as YouTube and Twitch. With the release of many new games towards the end of 2019, our community decided game servers were not necessary and we agreed. Thus, we announced the shutdown of MythWorld.net.
- We have polled our community to determine if we’re heading in the correct direction, and the answer is a resounding yes. After navigating through the initial growth process, we’ve found our balance. Now it’s time to focus on spreading our mission.
- Year of 2020
- Theme – Expansion and Retention
- With our platform in place, it’s time to spread our mission and gather like-minded individuals to play games!
Top Contributing Members:
- Community Officer, January 2019-present
- Community Officer, March 2019-present
- Community Officer, May 2020-present